* GUATEMALA * * * * * * * * Dick Rutgers *

An ongoing journal of life as a Missionary in Guatemala. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time.

My Photo
Location: Chimaltenango, Guatemala

I work in Guatemala with Hope Haven international and Bethel Ministries. Along with my friends Chris and Donna Mooney and their family, we share the love of Jesus in various ways. Although giving out and maintaining wheelchairs is our primary ministry, we are involved in many other things as well. Building houses, feeding the hungry, providing education to handicapped children in orphanages and villages, and hosting a camp for the handicapped are just a small part of the things that God has given us the privilege of getting involved in. For several years now I have been keeping daily journals. Once a week I try to post new journals and pictures. My e-mail is dick@dickrutgers.com Guatemala Cell Phone # 502 5379 9451 USA Phone # 360 312 7720(Relays free to Guatemala)

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Journal, November 6-11, 2009

Friday, November 6, 2009

Once again Daryl Fulp has journaled today's happenings, so once again I am going to take the day off from writing and let you read Daryl's account of what took place.

Another side of Guatemala

by Daryl Fulp

There are some days that are very difficult to summarize in a blog. Today is one of those days, but I will do my best.

This morning, my good friend Dick Rutgers picked our team up from the hotel and, along with two of his little amigos, Fernando and Cesar, exposed us to some of the incredible needs and opportunities that Guatemala has to offer. We drove to the coastal region near the town of San Jose where we spent time with four families who made a strong impact on our team.

Our first visit was with Irma, a lady with whom Dick has worked for several years. She had been disowned by her mother as a child due to her disability and for several years she was dragging herself on the ground from place to place in her village. Bethel Ministries whom Dick works with, supplied her with a wheelchair and she has been an attendee of the yearly camp in Chimaltenango. Today we delivered a new chair to her and spent time visiting with her family.

While we were in Irma’s village we were swamped by children who wanted to see the Gringos and get some of the candy we offered. We planned to give one piece per child, but quickly abandoned that plan and gave seconds!

From there we drove to another home that is about three miles away, as the crow flies, but involved nearly an hour’s drive. There we visited with Julio, a little guy that Dick had found some time ago severely malnourished in a hammock behind the family’s house.

He convinced the family to allow him to take Julio to Hermano Pedro for treatment where he was fattened up and then returned home. With the help of a sponsor, Dick is providing food for the family on a regular basis in order to assure that Julio does not return to his former state. The father is a hard worker who is currently without work and is awaiting the coming sugar cane harvest which will provide him with employment for the season.

We were able to deliver groceries to this family, including the lunch we had packed for ourselves. We decided that we could do without in light of the need we were seeing. Julio was such a wonderful little guy and Kathlin, Rachel, and Bev had a wonderful time holding and playing with him and the little ones.

As we were preparing to leave it was discovered that the rear passenger tire of Dick’s Land Cruiser was flat. It was raining and muddy and we prepared ourselves to get very messy changing the tire. However, a group of men from the village stepped forward and did most of the work. One of them even laid down in the mud to position the jack properly. When all the work was done, Dick and I had dirty hands, but the men who helped were filthy. As we left, Dick told us what a blessing that flat tire was. When he first came to the village to help Julio the men in the village told the family not to trust him. They said if they allowed Dick to take Julio they would never see him alive again. But now, through the relationship he has built with the family and the help he has offered, he is trusted by those same men. It was both wonderful and humbling to see their eagerness to assist Dick in return for the help he has so freely offered.

After we left, we air dried for a little while with the windows rolled down and then stopped for lunch at a roadside burger stand. All the guys ate a cheeseburger, but the women opted out. I think they were a little concerned about food-borne illnesses. The rumbling in my stomach makes me wonder if they were right!

From there we went to the home of Henri, a little guy with cerebral palsy. When Wanda and I came to Guatemala in September we brought along a wheelchair that was donated by our friends the Riffels. We had left it at Hermano Pedro for Dick to use as he chose. As it turns out, Henri was the perfect candidate for the chair, so our team had the privilege of delivering the chair and assisting with the fitting. What a joy it was to see Henri sitting up straight and unassisted in his new chair!

Once again our team was overwhelmed by children as we worked on the chair. More candy was passed out and a good time was had by all, especially Bev who was in grandma heaven!

Our last stop was at the home of a young man named David. David is preparing to graduate after a long and difficult road. He was disabled from birth by spina bifida and his mother fought for his education.

Mother would carry David to school each day on her back, across a stream, to deliver him to school. However, the teachers would leave him in the corner of the room and not work with him. In fact, he was often teased and made fun of by the teachers. Finally his mother withdrew him from school after third grade and he remained unschooled for several years. Through sponsorship Bethel Ministries, whom dick works with, was able to arrange for a tutor and eventually to get him back in school. On Monday this fine young man will graduate and move on. It was a privilege to meet him and the mother that fought so hard for her son’s education.

I am sure by now that you understand how difficult it is to put a day like this into words. While this blog cannot do it justice, I pray that I have at least given you a glimpse of the impact this day has had on me and the team. Thanks, Dick, for providing us with a great day of ministry and memories!


Saturday, November 7, 2009

Today I spent my entire day here in Chimaltenango. Once again part of my day was spent putting my car back together. The last trip did in a tire on my car that was just a little over a week old. If your read yesterday's journal you would know that it was the best $100 that I ever spent. Funny how we can some times question why God allows what we consider bad things happen in our lives only to later discover that God used them for something good. I guess that I have to read Romans 8:28 more often.

At around 1:00 Pm I went over to Chino's house. Chino was having a graduation party. There were lots of people at his house to celibate and over all it was a happy occasion but both Chino and his mother started to cry when Chino expressed his wish that his father could have been at the graduation. Several years ago Chino's father left to find work in the States . The family is praying that he will come back home by Christmas. The trouble is they have been praying that same prayer for 6 years now.

I gave some thought about going to Hermano Pedro orphanage after the graduation party but I knew that my kids here at home needed some of my time as well. Besides that I knew that, at least for today, my bases were covered. Not that there are ever too many volunteers there for all of the kids, but my friend Daryl Fulp and the groups that he brings along with him when he comes here from the States does a wonderful job when they are here. Many well meaning groups come into the orphanage and most make a gallant effort of entertaining the kids. Granted Darryl and his groups love to entertain them as well but they have learned that there is something that has to go along with the entertainment and that is loving on the kids. I guess puppets and clowns are OK but what these kids need the most is a real person. A person that is willing to hold them , to play with them, to laugh with them, to cry with them. A person that is willing to let each one of these precious children know that he or she is a real person. These children need people that are willing to show them the kind of love that our Heavenly Father gave to us when he sent his only Son here to earth to be a real person that was willing to die for us.


The following is what Daryl wrote in today's journal.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

It Keeps Getting Harder

I am sitting in the Guatemala City airport after having said goodbye to the kids and adults at Hermano Pedro yet again. It seems like saying goodbye should get easier, but it doesn’t. In fact, this was harder than ever before.

This is the off-season for tourists and volunteers at HP. The number of people who come in to help with the kids is at the lowest point of the year, so I wonder how often these kids are spoken to, caressed, held, and loved. And when they are, will the person doing it know what each child needs.

Will they know that Estuardo is soothed by having someone mimic the creative noises he makes with his mouth? Will they know that Diego loves to be pushed backward in his wheelchair? Will they know that Leslie is comforted by softly clapping? Will they know that Ervin acts out when he feels abandoned but is a sweet little guy when he knows he is loved? Will they know that Louis loves a gentle breeze on his face and hates loud noises?

The answer to all the questions is, “Likely not.” They cannot know these things because they will probably not know the children. (Just yesterday I had to explain to a group of volunteers that Gloria was nearly deaf and needed to feel the vibrations from their chest and that Leslie was blind and needed their touch instead of their hand puppet.) And this highlights the problem. These children are a part of an institution, not a family.

Within a loving family, a child is known. Their likes, loves, hates, and fears are known by the family that loves them. And that knowledge is used to create a place of safety and joy. And that is why our family is so desperate to get to Guatemala and create a home for these children based on family. So, I return home once again to continue our furious preparations that will enable our move. And as I do, I pray that our house sells quickly, fund raising goes smoothly, and that we reach our new home soon. Children are waiting.


Daryl, his wife Wanda and their 10 children are selling everything that they own so that they can move here to Guatemala to serve full time.

Click here to see Daryl's web page.

Yours in Christ: Dick

Sunday, November 8, 2009This has got to be the first time in years that I did not have between 8 and 12 kids come along to church with me but believe it or not this morning I only had one. Some of them were sick, some had football games, and a few went to another town to see relatives. At any rate it ended up being just Fernando and myself. It so happened though that about 8 or 9 kids wondered into church off from the streets and just for a moment there I thought about inviting them along to lunch with Fernando and myself. Like I said I only thought about it for a moment then I thought about next week when my 12 kids would likely be back. 20 kids id just a few to many to handle so I said a little prayer that some one else would take them under their wing. I am afraid that didn't happen though because about an hour later I saw them wondering the streets. perhaps next week I may have to re-think that 12 is enough thing.

After lunch Fernando and I headed over to Hermano Pedro and had some fun with the orphanage kids. Sonia, Veronica, David and Moises,were out in the courtyard. The other 50 or more kids from their section were in bed for the day. Fernando managed to use his charm to convince one of the nurses to allow him to get Henry out of bed and the 2 of them had a great time playing together. Fact is before I knew it Fernando had Moises and Henry in their walkers and had a wheelchair, walker soccer game going in the courtyard. I have said it before but it bares repeating. I wish that they let 12 year old's run orphanages.

While the kids were playing soccer I went up to the malnutrition ward and checked in on a few new arrivals. I got to know a few of these kids when we gave them new wheelchairs a few days ago. At that time Walter, a new little boy caught my attention. I had guessed that he was around 6 years old but my guess was off by 5 years. Walter is 11. He has to be one of the saddest looking kids that I have ever met. As skinny as he is I have little doubt that he would have survived for long in his village but here in the orphanage he appears to be in shell shock. New arrivals are always kept in isolation for a few days but today I convinced the nurses to let me take Walter outside for a little while. Outside consists of an open area that is just out side of the door to the malnutrition ward and although you are still in the confines of the building you can see the sky if you look straight up. Walter seemed to enjoy getting out of the malnutrition ward but never once smiled and would say ma ma to every lady that walked by. When I carried him back to his bed he threw his arms around my neck and refused to let go. It was hard for me to put him back into his bed not that his grip on my neck was all that strong but it was still hard.

When I got home I received a call from Jason. He wanted to know if I could come over to his home and have dinner with him and his family in celebration of his 14th birthday. The 10 kids that were in my house were not all that fond of my leaving but I said that I would open the place back up when I returned and even promised that I would give them supper. Jason, his mother, father, and 3 siblings all live in a small room in the back of their grandfather's house. Mother, father and 3 of the kids stood while Jason, his grandfather, and I got served. We were on the only 3 chairs that were in the house. I offered my chair to mother but she refused. She told me that I was their guest and that they would stand to eat. I felt a bit awkward when I noticed that my portion of food was twice the size of anyone else's but knew that the family would be offended if I offered any of it to any one else. There was no cake and there were no presents just a simple dinner. I wish so that I had brought a cake or a present but I was not given much notice. Jason and his family thanked me over and over for coming. To my understanding this was the closest thing to a birthday party that Jason has ever had.

Yours in Christ: Dick

Monday, November 9, 2009

Ever feel like you have been conned? I can distinctly remember talking to the kids last night and promising 2 and only 2 of them that I would be letting them come along with me to Democratica this morning. Why was it then that there were now 4 kids in my car with me? I could go into a lengthy explanation but I still don't have it figured out myself. Oh well why am I complaining it was only yesterday that I was hoping for 12 of them to come along and only got one.

My reason for the hour and a half drive to Democratica was to have a meeting with Edna a social worker and the Mayor's wife. I called Edna a half hour before we arrived and she told me to just wait for her outside of the clinic because she was going to be a few minutes late. About an hour later one of the workers from the clinic came out and told me that Edna was not going to be there today but that the malnourished kids that I had come to see were there and that the doctor would show them to me. When the doctor and I walked into the small room where the children were we were both shocked to see that most of the kids there looked relatively healthy. I scratched my head and looked over at the doctor who was scratching her head. Oops wrong kids. A quick phone call to Edna confirmed that they had not been able to locate the malnourished kids that she had told me about but she promised that she would do her best to find them and get back to me. Had I been conned twice in one day? I am not sure but I did ask the doctor to e-mail me pictures before I make another trip. I think that this place is on the up and up though because I saw a lot of people there that were in need of medical treatment. I also met a dedicated doctor that appears to be in her mid twenties. Unfortunately her stay at the clinic is only temporary. In December she will be moving to Esquentla.

Since we finished up a lot earlier than expected the boys and I decided to take a more remote road home. There were several rivers to cross but no bridges. Some of the villages that we traveled through were among the poorest that I have ever seen. I am sure that if we had stopped at any of them and asked we would have found that her were enough needs in any one of them to keep us busy for a life time. Perhaps another day but I had already given the clinic in Democratica what ever medicine that I had with me.

When we got back home I took an hour long kid break and then we all gathered up on a soccer field that I had rented. I actually played an entire game with out getting hurt (to badly).

Tonight was just going to be sandwich night for the kids but that was before I discovered that my refrigerator had quit running. The kids and I cooked up anything and everything that needed refrigeration and sat down to a feast. Looks like tomorrow we go refrigerator shopping.

Yours in Christ: Dick

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Today was one of those go to the orphanage but don't bring your tool kit days. I need days like that every now and then. I have found that when things start closing in on me and I get the feeling that I will never catch up on everything that needs to be done it is sometimes best to step back and take a deep breath. My breath of fresh air is going to the orphanage and just chilling out with the kids. Oh yes I still got bombarded by doctors, nurses, therapists, and residents that wanted wheelchairs fixed or replaced but I just politely smiled and told them mañana. I told them that today I had simply come to the orphanage to hang out with my friends. Fernando, Esben, and Elder had also come along with me but they were no bother. All 3 are skilled at just hanging out and having fun. The 3 kids that we took to lunch were pretty good at hanging out and having fun to so over all we had a relaxing day. Funny thing is now that the day is over my list of things that need doing is even longer than it was this morning but for some reason it is not stressing me out any more.

1 Peter 5:7
"Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

Yours in Christ: Dick

Wednesday, November 11 , 2009

Today Bryan and Fernando spent the day with me. I usually have the kids take turns comeing along with me but this week Fernando has had more than his fare share of being able to come along with me. Several of my kids are doing quite well at English but Fernando, Calin and Abner are the 3 of my kids that do the bes job of interpreting, so when ever I need a good interpreter I try to take one of these three boys along with me. Problem is Calin has been sick for the past few weeks and Abner has been sting with relatives in Guatemala City. The only one of the kids has not been complaining about how often Fernando gets to come along with me has been Fernando. At least it is giving the others an incentive to learn English.

This morning we got my refrigerator back from the repair shop. I am not exactly sure what they did to get it running but there are now a few extra wires coming out of the back of it so I told the kids that hey have to be careful not to get a shock when they try to dry wet clothing on the coils on the back of the fridge. At least it is working and actually seems to be running quieter than it ever did. That isn't saying much though because now it sounds like a Honda instead of a Harley.

We only spent a few hours at the orphanage today but that was long enough to take 3 more kids out to lunch. Shortly after we got our food 3 girls that are studding to be therapists showed up at Camperos with 3 more of the orphanage kids. These girls have been spending the past month at Hermano Pedro as part of their training. Today they decided that they wanted to take 3 of the kids that they have been been working with out to lunch. Wow! Once they graduate they certainly have my vote if they want to work at Hermano Pedro.

After lunch the boys and I invited 90 year old Father Bernardo along with us to visit 2 people that live in Antigua. Father Bernardo told us that he hated to decline our invitation but had other commitments today.

Our first visit was to a home where another priest had been staying. I had visited him a few weeks ago to measure him for a wheelchair. This man who was 35 years younger than Father Bernardo had suffered a stroke that left him nearly paralyzed. When we got to the home we were told that only a few days ago they had moved him to a home in Guatemala City. I will still try to get the wheelchair to him but since it needs to have some special side and head support I will have to try to find the time to bring it to him myself.

Our next stop was at the home of Cesar. Cesar is the man the Father Bernardo introduced me to About a year ago. At that time 3 doctors had told Cesar that his infected leg would have to be amputated. Father Bernardo does not know much about medicine but he felt that the doctors were giving up on Cesar to quickly. A visit by an American doctor that I borough in to see Cesar confirmed Father Bernardo's suspicions and thanks to a strong stomach and the treatment that the doctor showed me how to do Cesar's leg has been saved. A few months ago the infection flared up again but once we resumed treatment Cesar's leg has once again improved. I will never forget coming back form our firs visit to Cesar's house with Father Bernardo. He told me that he loved what doing this kind of work and that he wanted to work with me. I enjoyed Father Bernardo but felt that I better let him know that even though I spent a lot of time at Hermano Pedro orphanage I was not Roman Catholic. Father Bernardo looked up and informed me that he was not Evangelical but Roman Catholic. Then he said, "Enough theological discussion. Now lets go out and do God's work." Father Bernardo has taught me a lot. No he has not turned me towards Catholicism nor will he sway my beliefs, but he has taught me that we do not have to agree on everything in order to work together.

Yours in Christ: Dick


Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my qod this realli touch me i would like to be a voluntier for this company im from there! my email is my_60asix@hotmail.com
im 16 years old youseline enamorado

Thursday, November 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home